Pickled Fingertare with Ginger and Chili
580ml jar or 2 smaller jars
175 g fresh fingertare
125 ml apple cider vinegar
1.5 tsp salt
5-7 thin slices of ginger
3-5 cloves of garlic
1/2 small chili, sliced
- Sterilize the jam jar.
- If using dried fingertare, first rehydrate it, putting it in cold water and letting it to soak for half an hour. Once re-hydrated slice into thin strips or wider pieces according to your liking.
- In a pan mix the vinegar, salt, and sugar with 250 ml water. Bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile arrange the fingertare slices in the jar with the ginger, chili and garlic cloves.
- Pour over the hot brine, so it covers all the seaweed, pushing it down if necessary. Close the jar, tightening the lid.
- Leave to pickle for a couple of weeks. Once opened keep in the fridge. The fingertare will turn vivid green when pouring the hot brine over it, but will change its colour back to a darker green due to the vinegar. The garlic cloves may change their colour to a light blue, this is normal and perfectly safe to eat.